Discover Everything You Need to Know About the EECA Warmer Kiwi Homes Programme!

In this blog we will tell you all you need to know about the EECA Warmer Kiwi Homes Programme. How it works and how to find out if you are eligible.

What is EECA Warmer Kiwi Homes Programme?

The EECA Warmer Kiwi Homes program is an initiative in New Zealand aimed at improving the energy efficiency and warmth of homes. EECA stands for Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority, which is a government agency responsible for promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy in the country.

The Warmer Kiwi Homes program provides eligible homeowners with grants to help cover the cost of retrofitting their homes with insulation and heat pumps. The program primarily targets low-income households, as they often face challenges in keeping their homes warm and energy-efficient.

Under the program, homeowners can receive grants to install ceiling and underfloor insulation, as well as heat pumps. These measures help to reduce heat loss from the home, improve indoor comfort, lower energy consumption and keep you and your family healthy.

By improving the energy efficiency of homes, the Warmer Kiwi Homes program aims to reduce energy consumption, lower carbon emissions, and alleviate energy poverty. It contributes to creating healthier, more comfortable living environments while also promoting sustainability and reducing the country’s overall energy demand.

What the warm home grant covers

80% of the total cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation. In some areas the cost to you may be even lower, thanks to generous funding from community organisations.

Up to 80% of the cost of an approved heat pump. This would be a heat pump for the main living area. Heater grants are capped at $3000 including GST.

Are you eligible?

Checklist for an insulation grant

  • You own and live in a home built before 2008.

  • You (the owner) have a Community Services Card or live in an area identified as low-income (visit the application form to check your address)

  • Your home doesn’t have ceiling and underfloor insulation. (If you had an insulation grant for a previous house, no worries, you can apply for a grant at your current home.)

Checklist for a heater grant

  • You own and live in a home built before 2008.

  • You (the owner) have a community services card or live in an area identified as low income.

  • You have ceiling and underfloor insulation installed to EECA standards. If your home has been insulated through a Government insulation programme, we’ll confirm it when you apply for a heater grant. Otherwise, an Easy Insulation will do a quick check — at no cost to you.

  • Your home doesn’t already have one of the following fixed heaters that is operational in any living area of the house: heat pump, wood or pellet burner, flued gas heater or central heating system. If your home has one of these heater types, it is not eligible for a heating grant.

What will I have to pay?

We’ve included the expected costs remaining after the grant funding below, but in many areas, community organisations offer extra funding to top up Warmer Kiwi Homes grants, which could mean you pay even less, or nothing at all. If this is available in your area, we’ll let you know when you apply.

Insulation — In most situations, expect to pay between $280 and $800, depending on the size of the house and whether you need ceiling or underfloor insulation, or both.

Heat pump — Expect the amount you need to pay to be $400-$700. This will depend on the size and brand of the heat pump. Heat pumps provide instant heat and temperature control with a thermostat, and have low running costs if used properly. Your unit will be sized to heat the room it’s installed in, not the whole house.

What happens next?

1. Check your eligibility

Fill out our Warmer Kiwi Homes form to check your eligibility. It’s quick and easy. It will tell you if you can get insulation, a heater, or both, and connect you with an installer.


2. Easy Insulation will provide a quote

They will contact you to arrange a free, no-obligation quote and let you know about payment options or extra funding available to you.

3.Arrange installation

Arrange a time directly with the installer. You’ll need to sign a contract and pay the non-funded portion of the cost directly to them.

Some details worth knowing

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 2.9px 0.0px; font: 10.0px 'Gotham Light'} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 2.9px 0.0px; font: 10.0px 'Gotham Light'; min-height: 12.0px}

If your house can’t be insulated — for example, if there’s no space under the floor or ceiling — you may still be able to get a grant for a heater. Easy Insulation will have to assess your home To request this call 0800 327 946.

You’re only committed to go ahead with insulation or a new heater when you sign a contract with the installer.

If you need a building consent for a wood or pellet burner, the installer can apply on your behalf.

There may be other payment options to help you pay the rest of the cost - talk to an insulation and/or heater installer contracted to EECA to find out more.

Right now, you can expect installation to take up to 4 months, due to supply chain constraints and availability of installers. Once you’ve applied, your service providers will keep in touch with you to let you know the timelines.

Please note

Funding is limited, and grants may not be available in some remote locations and islands. Use the Warmer Kiwi Homes tool to see what’s available in your region.

Grants for wood and pellet burners are not available in some areas. The Warmer Kiwi Homes tool will tell you if there’s a contracted insulation and/or heater installer in your region.

Wall insulation isn’t included.

The grant can only be used for the home you own and live in — not a bach or holiday home.

To find out more and book an assessment go to https://www.easyinsulation.co.nz/programmes/